Spikenard, popularly known as jatamansi in India, has been used extensively in Ayurveda for ages. The herb has multiple benefits ranging from skin care, treating bacterial infection, odour removing to anti-inflammatory, laxative, sleep inducing, being good for the uterus among others. Jatamansi is considered to be memory enhancing. It also has relaxing and calming attributes which makes it an important ingredient for various ayurvedic and herbal medicinal products.
Amazing benefits of Jatamansi
1. Hair growth: The extract of jatamansi oil is helpful in the growth of hair. It is beneficial for smooth, silky and healthy hair too. It is used to improve complexion and ensures glowing and shining looks to the body. The root of the powder in water when applied promotes skin texture.
2. It is used as anti-epileptic.
3. Cardiac health: It ensures good cardiac condition as observed in mice.
4. Memory and learning: The medicinal plant is helpful in enhancing the faculties of the brain and combats the mental problems thus impart calm and peace to mind. It is one of the effective medicinal roots to subsidies the three humors-Vatta, Pitta and Kapha and provides delightful state to the doshas of the body.
5. Strengthens the nervous system: It helps to provide vitality, vigor and strength to the body thus good for the nervous system.
6. Stress buster: The plant has the power to reduce stress, anxiety and tension by balancing biochemical reactions in the body. It is good to have the mind cool and healthy and acts as one of the finest mind rejuvenator tonic. It facilitates sound sleeping thus good for those who have stressful life.
7. Skin infection: The burning sensation of skin and inflammation get subsidized when the decoction of Jatamansi powder prepared in cold water is applied.
8. Liver problems: it shows hepatoprotective effects along with momordica charantia and ferula asafetida.
9. Antidepressant: The extract of N. jatamansi show anti-depressant features
10. Antifungual: The essential oil of it acts against fungus like Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus niger
Other Names: Sunbul, Sunbul al-teeb, Sunbul Hindee, Sunbul al-’asaafeer, Nardeen, Jatamamsi, Gan song, Musk Root, Indian Spikenard, Nard Indien, Achte Narde, Moschuswurzel, Sumbulwurzel, Baalchad, Kalichad, Jatamasi, Balcharr, Charr, Jatamashi, Bhootajata, Ganagila maste, Bhut-jaat, Bhutijatt, Nardostachys jatamansi DC, Jatamansi, Sumbul Hindi, Narde Hindi, Reshahwala, Balchhar, Chharguddi, Jatamansi, Mansi, Jata, Jatila, Balcharr, Sumbul-ut-teeb, Jattamasi, Jathamansi